Sunday is farmers’ market day in Coventry and a week of January thaw means the sap has been running and Fabyan Sugar Shack will have the first of the 2014 maple syrup! This calls for a slow cooker Maple Pepper Pulled Pork celebration!
At the Coventry WinterFresh Farmers’ Market, you’ll find not only beautiful garlic, onions, and cabbage, but also the Dragon’s Blood Elixir… a really outstanding hot sauce line. Fabyan Sugar Shack will have pure maple sugar and the maple pepper blend (your pick: regular, garlic, or garlic hot!). While straight-up maple syrup will work superbly in this recipe, if the Fabyan crew has any of their maple syrup-boiled cider blend, GRAB THAT! It’s special and will add another dimension to the dish! And, be warned, this ain’t your aunty’s 1950’s coleslaw. It’s got serious spunk!
Do consider Farm to Hearth Sweet Horseradish Pickles to serve alongside! ~ Happy long weekend!
Maple Pepper Pulled Pork
1 (3-4 pound) boneless pork butt, twine or netting removed
1 large onion, sliced
1 head garlic, cloves thinly sliced
1 cup Fabyan Sugar Shack Maple Syrup-Boiled Apple Cider Blend, or maple syrup
12 oz beer
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons cumin
1 tablespoon smoked or kosher salt
1 teaspoon pepper, preferable smoked butcher’s blend
Dragon’s Blood Elixir (or your favorite hot sauce)
Fabyan Sugar Shack Maple Pepper
- Place the onions and garlic in an even layer in the slow cooker and pour in the syrup and beer.
- Combine the paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Pat the pork dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture all over the pork and place the meat on top of the onions and garlic. Cover and cook until the pork is fork tender, about 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Turn off the slow cooker and remove the pork to a cutting board to rest. When pork is cool enough to handle, begin shredded the meat and disposing of any excess fat.
- The onion mixture from the slow cooker will be watery… pour into a saucepan and reduce over high heat on your stove to thicken somewhat.
- Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker, add the reduced sauce, and mix to combine.
- Season with maple pepper and hot sauce to taste.
Spicy Red Cabbage Coleslaw
1/4 cup raw apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Fabyan Sugar Shack pure maple sugar (or sweetener of your choice)
1 teaspoon grated, peeled ginger
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 fresh jalapeno, finely chopped, with seeds (or hot pepper of your choice)
½ tsp salt
1 small head red cabbage, cored and sliced into fine shreds
1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
Whisk together vinegar, maple sugar, ginger, oil, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add remaining ingredients and toss well. Let stand, tossing occasionally, 10 minutes.
Photo credit: Winter Caplanson (in the test kitchen and market) and Laura Stone (on location at Fabyan Sugar Shack)